Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Going "back home"


Last week I was able to travel back to the midwest to spend a few days with my parents. Harvest is just beginning, so I could not only enjoy the golden fields and the tall corn stalks, I also could smell the combine dust in the air.
I love the wide-open spaces!
My brother came out to visit with us two nights. We had such a good time together.
I was so blessed by having Dad totally coherent and happy all of the days that I was visiting. He was even laughing, singing and playing the harmonica! Such an answer to prayer. 
Mom's health is improving and she is back to her energetic self again.
One evening, an employee at the nursing home brought her beautiful dog to visit the residents. I couldn't tell who was enjoying "Sandy" more...dad or his son! 
One afternoon, my cousin and her husband stopped by for lunch as they traveled north to visit her folks. Such a treat!
Every time I've walked downtown, I've tried to visit the local museum, but it was never open. However, last weekend was the annual "Turkey Days" celebration, and the museum opened their doors! It was a very interesting place to explore. These horses were carved by a local woman who began her hobby back in WWII while her son was stationed overseas. After he returned home, she continued to carve during the long winter months. Her goal was to carve a set of horses and wagons for all 50 states. And she did!!! The detail was incredible, since these horses are only about 6-7 inches in height.
Furnishings from a local mercantile
the local doctor's office
On Friday evening, just before a fantastic fireworks show, mom and I attended a musical written and performed by the kids theatre. they did a great job! 
The title of the play was "Cowboys and Aliens" and these were the aliens that tried to crash the "wedding of the century" (simply because they wanted to attend a fun event!) Sorry for the grainy quality...it lends to the alien-look though!
the cute girls!
I am so thankful for my wonderful parents and the blessing they are to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment